Kenny Omega of All Elite Wrestling was dubbed “The Belt Collector” after beating Rich Swann for the Impact World Championship on Sunday night at Impact’s Rebellion pay-per-view. Omega now possesses world titles in three of the most successful North American promotions: AEW, Impact, and Lucha Libre AAA.
Kenny Omega The Belt Collector
Omega worked over the back of Swann’s neck for the majority of the fight, nearly knocking him out with a string of vicious V-Triggers late on. Omega hammered Swann down for a three count on his third attempt at a One-Winged Angel. He celebrated in the ring with Don Callis and The Good Brothers at the end of the match, keeping up his three titles.
In January, AEW president Tony Khan, who was ringside for the match and has been appearing on Impact weekly via paid advertisements, clarified how the AEW/Impact crossover started to Renee Paquette.
“Kenny came up with the idea,” Khan said. “He inquired about it, and I am a sucker for good ideas. I don’t follow through with every suggestion. But Kenny mentioned something that I thought was a fantastic idea. He gave it a lot of consideration and time. Kenny deserves 100 percent of the credit. (Quote may be paraphrased and is not done to misquote source)
“I think that was behind it, but I also think Kenny Omega believed that Don would be a really good advocate for him; the role of a very, really strong heel leader for Kenny as the top heel in the territory,” he continued. “Kenny is, in my opinion, the best heel in wrestling right now. That’s what I believe people wanted to see… I believe that the public was eager to see Kenny Omega. He was ecstatic to give it to her. He put a lot of thought into improving and innovating. That is why I believe Kenny and Jon [Moxley] are the two best wrestlers in the world.”
Impact Rebellion Recap and Results
- X Division Championship: Josh Alexander def. Ace Austin and TJP
- W. Morrissey and Violent By Design def. Chris Sabin, James Storm, Eddie Edwards, Willie Mack
- Brian Myers def. Matt Cardona
- Impact Knockouts Tag Team Championships: Jordynne Grace and Rachael Ellering def. Fire N Flava
- Trey Miguel def. Sami Callihan (Last Man Standing)
- Impact World Tag Team Championships: FinJuice def. The Good Brothers
- Impact Knockouts Championship: Deonna Purrazzo def. Tenille Dashwood
- AEW World Champion Kenny Omega def. Impact World Champion Rich Swann Winner Take All)